Note to Broadcasters: Please find attached soundbite in English by Freddy Sonakile
Dysfunctional North West municipalities failed to spend R496,359 million in conditional grant funding in a province where service delivery has collapsed and infrastructure continues to decay. Eleven North West municipalities applied to have the funding rolled over to the next financial year, but only three requests were granted totaling a mere R44 million.
The remaining nine North West municipalities must reimburse the National Revue Fund (NRF) all unspent conditional grant funding. The failure to spend conditional grant funding, the bulk of which is earmarked for infrastructure development, will negatively affect the ability of these municipalities to support and improve service delivery to residents.
The affected municipalities are:
- Mamusa Local Municipality: R5,486 million
- Greater Taung Local Municipality: R751,000.00
- Lekwa Teemane Local Municipality: R3,404 million
- Kagisano Molopo Local Municipality: R4,782 million
- Dr Ruth Segomotsi Mompati Local Municipality: R180,411 million
- City of Matlosana Local Municipality: R37,814 million
- JB Marks Local Municipality: R64,540 million
- Rustenburg Local Municipality: R101,890 million
- Moses Kotane Local Municipality: R4,650 million
- Ratlou Local Municipality: R9,262 million
- Ngaka Modiri Molema District Municipality: R79,469 million
The remaining 11 North West municipalities failed to apply for a roll-over which will see another R3,9 million returned to the NRF.
The DA has requested all North West municipalities that failed to spend their conditional grant funding appear before the Portfolio Committee on CoGHSTA explain and account for their failure to utilise these much needed funds towards improving service delivery.
With collapse of service delivery throughout North West, returning almost R500 million is a slap in the face of the residents. It is obvious that the ANC does not consider it a serious obligation to serve the people of this province. ANC cadres simply do not care.
The ANC in government is always telling people that they are building a better life for all, but that they have “some challenges”. The reality is that the ANC is its own challenge. North West residents should take heed and vote in a new DA-led government next year because only the DA is able to improve service delivery, like we do in the Western Cape and in all metros and municipalities where we are in government.